Abbots Langley Parish Council has, with the help of generous donations, installed nine Community Public Access Defibrillators (CPADs) around the Parish.
The case for CPADs is compelling. Survival rates for cardiac arrests improve significantly when defibrillation can be administered to a patient inside five minutes of the onset of a cardiac event.
The CPADs are installed in locked security cabinets. The code to access the unit is released by the ambulance service when they receive a 999 call and the control room operator identifies a patient is having a cardiac event. There are full instructions located next to each unit.
No prior training is needed to operate a CPAD. The units we purchased (iPad SP1 AED) have a graphic display which shows users where to locate the pads on a patient, it also delivers very clear spoken voice prompts. It will only administer a shock to a patient if it detects that the heart is in a condition where a shock is required. The units will work on both adults and children.
As The Community Heartbeat Trust says “No one will criticise you for trying to save a life! The CPAD will not function unless it determines there is a need, so do not worry about using one!”.
(linked to what3words map addresses)
Defibrillators are installed at the following locations, they are housed in a bright yellow cabinets and are clearly visible on the external walls of the buildings.
- Henderson Hall, High Street, Abbots Langley, WD5 0AR
- Manor House, Gallows Hill Lane, Abbots Langley, WD5 0DD
- Abbots Langley Police Station, Manor Lodge, High Street, Abbots Langley WD5 0AP
- Tanners Wood Hall, School Mead, Abbots Langley, WD5 0LA
- Leavesden Pharmacy, Katherine Place, College Road, Abbots Langley, WD5 0BT
- Kings Lodge, Hunton Bridge, Kings Langley, WD4 8RF
- Bedmond Village Hall, High Street, Bedmond, WD5 0QX
- Co-op Food Store, Abbotswood Park, Aerodrome Way, Abbots Langley, WD25 7LS
- Kings Langley Railway Station, Station Road, Kings Langley, WD4 8LL