Nappy Sacks: Available for Purchase Online as of April 2022
Starting in April 2022, white nappy sacks with the Three Rivers District Council logo can be purchased online. These will be collected once a fortnight, at the same time your refuse bin is emptied, provided they are left next to the green refuse bin.
Hillside Community Hub @ School Mead
The Hillside Community Hub is a partnership project between Three Rivers District Council, ASCEND, Watford & Three Rivers Trust and Watford Community Housing providing a drop-in facility for local residents to access a wide range of services and support. The Hub provides an outreach centre for a range of services including Herts Mind Network Domestic Abuse Support service and Three Rivers Healthy Hub.
Where is the Hillside Community Hub?
The Hillside Community Hub is located on School Mead, Abbots Langley, WD5 0LA.
What support does the Hillside Community Hub Offer?
The Hillside Community Hub provides residents with access to a wide range of services and facilities to build up their skills, meet other local residents, improve their physical and mental wellbeing and access support from services. There will be set times and days when each organisation will be based at the Hillside Hub, this is to ensure a range of services is available.
Home Library Service in Hertfordshire
Hertfordshire Libraries provides the Home Library Service delivering books to some of the most vulnerable and isolated people in the county. Many of our customers regard the service as a “lifeline,” and value the regular collections of books which are tailored to their interests and delivered to them in their own home by a friendly and familiar face.
The Home Library Service supports people who are unable to get to the library, for example those who:
- have a physical disability which prevents travelling to a library
- have a learning disability or mental health condition that makes it difficult to leave home alone
- are registered blind (severely sight impaired)
- are frail or in poor health which means they can’t get to a library
- are a carer looking after someone affected by any of the above, and their caring responsibilities prevent them from getting to the library.
If you know of anyone who is eligible and would like to receive the Home Library Service, please contact your library via the Customer Service Centre on 0300 123 4049.
Refill Hertfordshire – Remember your reusables!
Thanks to a fantastic initiative called Refill, topping up your water bottle when out and about is even easier. Refill Hertfordshire allows public places – such as cafés, pubs, takeaways and restaurants – to register as Refill Stations that will happily refill your bottle with free tap water on request.
The app now also shows where you can get coffee refills with a discount for bringing your own cup, shops where you can refill your own containers, and lunch venues where you can order to go in your own containers too. They’ve taken steps to make sure everything is as Covid safe as possible too.
There are more than 300 Refill Stations registered in Hertfordshire. There are two water fountains in Abbots Langley at:
- Manor House Grounds – next to the Manor House (what3words///intelligible.nest.firm)
- South Ways – next to the play area (what3words ///birds.august.retain)
You can find your nearest Refill stations on the go by downloading the Refill app or keeping an eye out for Refill window stickers.
Many residents have contacted the Council looking for ways to help the people of Ukraine. We encourage those wishing to help people impacted by the worsening humanitarian crisis in Ukraine to consider supporting the efforts of one of the following organisations and appeals:
- The Disasters Emergency Committee brings together 15 leading UK aid charities, raising funds to quickly and effectively respond to overseas disasters
- The British Red Cross has set up the Ukraine Crisis Appeal to help the Ukrainian Red Cross provide food, medicine, clothing, and shelter.
- The UN refugee agency has a specific collection for Ukraine
- The Ukrainian Embassy in the UK has set up a special fund called the With Ukraine Global Support Fund to support Ukraine.
- Goods for Good is a local charity that sends donated goods to vulnerable communities around the world and have already mobilised to send supplies to Ukraine. They have set up a humanitarian aid hub on the Polish border with Ukraine to deliver essential bedding, clothing, footwear, and toiletries.
- Choose Love is a non-profit that provides medical care, food, clothing, shelter and legal aid, as well as supporting Ukraine’s LGBTQ+ community.
- World Jewish Relief is working with partners in Ukraine to support those in need
- Save the Children is providing cash assistance, food and other support to refugees crossing into Romania and Lithuania, as well as in Ukraine itself.
- Sunflower of Peace provides support to orphans, internally displaced persons in Ukraine, and more recently to those most affected by COVID-19 and the Russian military invasion to Ukraine.
New Bus Service, Effective 17th April 2022
The new bus service timetable, effective from 17th April 2022!
The will be changes to both the bus number and route. We have been told Bus no. 8 will not longer be running after 16th April 2022; instead there will be a Bus no. 10 and 20 with some of Bus no. 8’s route being integrated into the Bus no. 10 route and a new Bus no. 20 route is being introduce which includes Abbots Langley.
Tennis Coaching @ Manor House Grounds
GetSet4Tennis is offering tennis coaching at Manor House Grounds this autumn. They offer a wide range of lessons and are an inclusive club who are happy to take all players, no matter the age or standard.
If you are interested in arranging tennis coaching, further information is available on the club’s website under Get Set 4 Tennis Coaching.
If you regularly play tennis already, don’t worry, one court will remain open to the public at all times.
Evergreen FC – Players Wanted!
Evergreen FC is seeking to recruit ladies aged 16+ to play in their women’s league. Training is on Thursdays from 7pm to 8pm @ South Way, Abbots Langley WD5 OJL.
Anne Robson Trust Helpline
Introducing the Anne Robson Helpline – if you or someone close to you is dying, you can talk to us.
At the Anne Robson Trust we aim to be there to listen to anyone who faces dying or the imminent death of someone they care about. We know that facing the end of life can leave you feeling isolated and alone.
Being able to access support is so important. Gaining knowledge of what may happen towards the end of life and being prepared helps both the person dying and their loved ones to feel a sense of control.
Calls are free and confidential. Call us on 0808 801 0688 – we have time to talk.
Leavesden Country Park – Parkrun Coming Soon! Volunteers Needed!
Weekly, timed 5K events due to start every Saturday at Leavesden Country Park soon! Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in being part of the team.